05 July 2007

We are nuts...


From a Gary Parrish article at CBS Sportsline:

"Kentucky fans define fanatic

Kentucky fans are passionate. Everybody has understood that for a while, and so when I wrote a Monday column about Billy Gillispie I knew the response would be heavy, if only because anything written about the Wildcats garners heavy attention. I'll include some of the notes in this week's mailbag, but one message caught my attention so much that I had to reply to the guy personally.

It came from David.

It read. ..

Giddy? I just bought a summer home in Arizona so I could register my corvette there because it was the only state with the 4KYCATS license plate available. We are back! Nice read.

Naturally, I was intrigued. The idea of a man buying a summer home (I should really get a summer home) based solely on the idea that a particular license plate was available in that state seemed like the very definition of passionate. So I e-mailed David and asked for more details.

His response was excellent.

A real estate agent told me how to go online and check the states' computers for personalized plate combinations. I was looking for a summer home and had tried other Rocky Mountain States for months to come up with a combination that would look cool on a red corvette, but everything is taken by all the wildcat fans. Found a home near Sedona, Arizona. Looked on the state's MVD computer, and lucky me there was 4KYCATS. Everywhere I drive that car I meet Kentucky bball fans. Bottom of Bryce Canyon national park: Ky fans. Top of the capitol dome in Denver: Ky fans. Ran out of gas on a charter boat in the mangrove swamp of the Florida Keys. Who comes to my rescue? Ky fans who saw my Ky jersey and towed me back, told me if I had been a Duke fan they would have left me there to die.

Seriously, what's better than this?

I've had my run-ins with Kentucky fans in the past, and I'm sure we'll have more in the future. It's inevitable, and that's fine. But there is no denying members of the so-called Big Blue Nation comprise the most-passionate fan base in the country, and it's really not even close."

3 comments:

Mike West said...

He should just move to Lexington. Billy G. will be receiving a huge ovation when he is introduced at the first home game. Dick Vitale on the other hand will be booed out of Rupp.

J Dub said...

That's "Matt Walsh" tied up in that picture.

That is great.

Anonymous said...

The guy that has the Matt Walsh look-alike on a leash shouldn't be considered crazy...more like criminally insane.